quinta-feira, julho 09, 2020

"As long as life lasts, let's continue with the story." (Carmen Martín Gaite)

"As long as life lasts, let's continue with the story."
  (Carmen Martín Gaite)

We live in a context of total uncertainty, with a new virus and unpredictable behavior, indefinitely. Nothing is more terrible for citizens and especially for politicians, those in charge and others. To speak is almost always to speak too soon. To declare victory is to allow time for defeat in the next corner. To affirm is to make fingers crossed. Guiding is trying to keep things moving. Like many, I thought the pandemic would give me plenty of time to read. Like many, I ended up littered with texts and books about the virus and all its declines, social, political, economic, all matters that are already overwhelming me and do not give me any kind of "enjoyment". “The book has the advantage that we can be alone and at the same time accompanied.” (Mario Quintana)
Sometimes we can think that life is simpler in black and white, however it is much more complex than the answer to the question: whose fault is it? Perhaps that is why, in these moments of great discomfort, we recall what Marie Curie (the first woman to win the Nobel Prize) said: “Nothing in life should be feared, it must be understood only. Now is the time to understand more, to be able to fear less ”.
We have to be aware that sadness and depression are not the same, as we all feel sad at one time or another and that sadness usually has a limited duration and with appropriate emotional reactions to the situation. If we lose someone we love, if there is a separation or separation from someone or something we like, it is expected that we will be sad for a while, but little by little, our mood will improve and we will again want to do things that we give pleasure. It is different in depression. Negative feelings and symptoms do not disappear after a while and even intensify. As Friedrich Nietzsche said: "What does not cause my death makes me stronger." The philosopher's idea is to show how we are able to learn and become stronger emotionally from our life experiences, including (and especially) the most difficult and painful ones.
 Throughout my life I have always recognized that football was for me “a school of learning for life”, as Albert Camus wrote his most famous phrase about sport: “Everything I know with greater certainty about morality and the obligations of men owe it to football ”. Don't think of yourself first. Think of everyone. It is the only way for everyone to think about you. Neither panic nor relaxation. Just awareness of the seriousness of the situation. I quote here a sentence I read a few days ago: “This is a scary moment. But we have lived in scary times before. ”
And just as the use of reading helps us to relativize everything, this certainty also gives us a strange tranquility in such uncertain times. Perhaps because, as Alberto Caeiro (in the skin of Fernando Pessoa) said, better than anyone: "When spring comes, if I am already dead, the flowers will bloom in the same way and the trees will be no less green than last spring. "Reality doesn't need me. I feel enormous joy when I think that my death is of no importance. If I knew that tomorrow would die and spring was the day after tomorrow, I would die happy, because it was the day after tomorrow. If that's yours time, when would she come if not in her time? "

Sem comentários: